Visit where the heavenly beauty prevails. Annapurna Circuit can be a thirst-quenching destination for you if you are in love with treks. We assure you that you will have a once-in-a-lifetime experience you have never experienced before. Situated at 4,130 meters above sea level, Annapurna Circuit Trek offers a mystic view of snow-capped mountains, dense forests, and several species of flora and fauna.
Adventure is one thing that triggers our mind when it comes to trekking, and Annapurna Circuit Trek undoubtedly fulfills your desire.
Hike to Annapurna Circuit is a satisfaction to anyone. The beauty of nature around this place is evident. It includes the panoramic view of Annapurna South, Annapurna I, Fishtail, and other famous peaks of Nepal.
Besides that, it has a heart-welcoming environment created by the residents. It has a charismatic and charming culture of the Magar and Gurung people that will provide you with Nepalese love and respect for the tourists.
With all this inclusion, no one can halt trekking to Annapurna Circuit as it can be the satisfaction of traveling for many people, as mentioned above.
Access to Annapurna Circuit
Any trekkers must have ACCAP Permit from Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal, to go through the Annapurna Circuit trekking.
The journey starts from Nayapul/Birethanti, a short drive from Pokhara. We will have to trek across the Modi river to Tikhedhunga/Ulleri.
The station from Ulleri is Ghorepani, situated at an altitude of 2760 meters above sea level. Ghorepani also enriches a panoramic view of the Himalayas, including the peaks like Annapurna, Hiunchuli, Dhaulagiri, and Machhapuchhre. It takes around a couple of days to reach there from Pokhara.
After Ghorepani, the trek to Poon Hill begins, which is one of the best destinations for mountains and witnessing the sunrise and sunsets. It is situated at 3,210 meters altitude, where it takes around 2–3 days to reach Pokhara. From here, the visitors can blaze their eyes with the mountains, such as Annapurna South, Annapurna III, Dhaulagiri II, Hiunchuli, and Dhampus Peak.
After Poonhill, there comes Tada Pani and Chemrong. Similarly, after completing the trekking here, you will finally reach your destination, Annapurna Circuit. Finally, the natural beauties mentioned above will face you, pleasing your eyes.
If you are fond of snow, the charismatic sight of glaciers and peaks like Annapurna South to Annapurna I, Khangsar Kang, Machhapuchhre, Annapurna II, and others will be the ones that give you a heavenly experience in Nepal.
Once you are done with your recreations around the destination, you can extend your trip to Thorang La Pass which is at 5,416 m. From there, you can access Muktinath Temple, a major pilgrimage destination for the Hindus & Buddhists. You can drive to Tatopani from there; many people believe that the hot spring water at Tatopani cures skin diseases.
Similarly, you will pass across Ghorepani, Poonhill, and Birethanti, before heading back to Pokhara.
Is Annapurna Circuit Trek Safe?
If you talk about the difficulty level of the Annapurna Circuit Trek, you have to know that trekking will be more challenging than you expected. The steep land topography, high altitude, and rugged pathways can make your trip awful. Its hiking path leads to the Thorang La Pass, which is situated at 5,416 meters.
The Thorung La, the highest altitude pass in the area, is reached by following the hiking path up to a height of 5416 m. The severity of cold and massive snowfall will surely be one of the most significant barriers you will face when you trek to Annapurna Circuit. Your trekking route will be above 3000 meters throughout the walk. You traverse some of the most challenging terrains, typically rocky, arid, and steep.
What Makes Annapurna Circuit Trek Difficult?
We have prepared lists of the factors that make the Annapurna Circuit Trek difficult. You should acknowledge them before initiating your plan in the region.
- High Altitude: Annapurna Circuit rests above 4000 meters from sea level so you might have health issues related to Acute Altitude Sickness. The air is thin in the upper Annapurna region, so we suggest you be physically and mentally prepared to take the risk. Train yourself in high altitude, be engaged in cardios’, and acknowledge that you are about to take one of the most adventurous treks in your life.
- Rugged Routes: Most pathways to Annapurna Circuit are rough and steep. There are seasonal roads to some point, but you cannot expect those to the high altitudes. Any passive trekker will find it challenging during their trip around the region; that’s the region we suggest you be physically healthy and fit.
- Heavy Snowfall During The Winter: If you plan your trek in the winter, you first have to know that you’re going to deal with one of the most severe colds in the world. The snowfall ratio is heavy compared to other seasons, and the temperature can go below -5 Degrees Celsius. We have many reports of people getting frostbite, altitude sickness, and even death in the region. So, bring your equipment and winter outfits to keep yourself warm and safe from the cold.
Your Hustle to Ensure a Safe Trek: What Should You Do?
- Cold Temperature: Cold temperature is the primary challenge that Annapurna Circuit offers. Working yourself to make yourself warm and safe during your trek is a wise choice. See some of our suggestions applicable to your safety in the region.
- Plan For The Right Time for Trek: If you are afraid of the cold, then winter treks are not the cup of your tea – we suggest you take a summer trip or any other season. Since the temperature goes below -5 Degrees Celsius, it can hamper your health, causing you a common cold and other related illnesses. Altitude sickness, nausea, vomiting, and fevers are more likely to catch you during the winter trek, so map your trekking plan in your favorable season.
- Have Supportive Gears And Equipment: Proper gears and equipment will make your trek convenient. You will need several items like sleeping bags, thermal clothes, trekking boots, jackets, and other itineraries – so make your plan thoroughly and re-check your luggage before you kick off the hike. In addition, you can arrange oxygen cylinders for those who are likely to get altitude sickness due to illnesses like asthma.
- Be Physically Fit And Hydrated: If your body says no, then don’t. You have to be physically fit to take on the adventure that Annapurna Circuit provides. Since the hike is not like a short walk in the facilitated region, having stamina, strength, and endurance always comes as the priority. So prepare by training or going on a hike in high altitudes. Also, always be hydrated; you can refill your water bottles in the local tea houses on the route.
Things You Should Include During Annapurna Circuit Trekking
- Trekkers must have ACCAP permits to travel through the Annapurna Circuit territories.
- A trekking guide is the best option for trekking to Annapurna Circuit. If you are on your own, remember to carry a hand map to avoid getting lost.
- Guides, meals, insurance, lodging, and other equipment are essential things you must keep.
- For hygienic and safe drinking water, water purification tablets are essential.
- For trekking, make sure of comfortable outfits, especially weather-favorable clothes.
- Also, include the First-Aid Kit.
If you are an international citizen, then you can follow the following tips;
- Take a flight to Tribhuwan International Airport, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- After your arrival, contact your traveling agency if you are about to travel from the agency. Or you can book your transport to Pokhara by flight or bus.
- Stay in Pokhara before you start your trekking. Don’t forget to make your gear ready for trekking.
A flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara costs around $35-$38 per person. However, transportation by bus or hiring a taxi might be cheaper than a plane. But it depends on your choice.
If you are a visitor from inside the country/Nepal, you can pick a flight to Pokhara from your area. Then, you can log on to your traveling gears to make your trekking convenient, comfortable, and memorable.
The accommodation facilities vary depending on your choice. Once you reach Pokhara, you will not have a problem getting to the lodges and hotels. If you are through the traveling agency, you will not have to worry about the accommodation services; your agency will take care of that.
But in case of your own, you will have to book a room or hotel for a living before you start trekking to Annapurna Circuit. Several hotels will give you price-ranged services and facilities.
Some are Nirvana Guest House, Hotel Pristine Himalaya, Silver Oaks Inn, Hotel Spring, Nepali Cottage Guest House, and many more.
The price range is very dynamic in Pokhara. You can get the accommodation facility from $3.5 per head (one night) to very elite hospitality-oriented service providers, costing you up to $60 — $70 a night. But it depends on your choice.
While you are excited to take the adventurous journey, there are some of the things that we discussed above to have a safe hike. Besides any challenges in the region, Annapurna is rich in natural beauty, majestic mountain views, and hospitable people. And it’s safe to say that your trek will be safe for sure with a proper plan of gear, training, guides, and mentality.